Current:Home > MarketsAlec Baldwin seeks dismissal of grand jury indictment in fatal shooting of cinematographer -NextFrontier Finance
Alec Baldwin seeks dismissal of grand jury indictment in fatal shooting of cinematographer
Chainkeen View
Date:2025-04-07 07:26:40
SANTA FE, N.M. (AP) — Defense attorneys for Alec Baldwin urged a New Mexico judge on Thursday to dismiss a grand jury indictment against the actor in the fatal shooting of a cinematographer on the set of the Western movie “Rust.”
The indictment in January charged Baldwin with involuntary manslaughter in the death of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on Oct. 21, 2021, at a movie ranch on the outskirts of Santa Fe.
Baldwin has pleaded not guilty to the charge. His attorneys in a new court filing accused prosecutors of “unfairly stacking the deck” against Baldwin in grand jury proceedings that diverted attention away from exculpatory evidence and witnesses.
They say that prevented the jury from asserting their obligation to hear testimony from director Joel Souza, who was wounded in the shooting while standing near Hutchins, as well as assistant director and safety coordinator Dave Halls and props master Sarah Zachry.
“The grand jury did not receive the favorable or exculpatory testimony and documents that the state had an obligation to present,” said the court motion signed by defense attorney Luke Nikas. “Nor was the grand jury told it had a right to review and the obligation to request this information.”
Prosecutor Kari Morrissey declined to comment and said a response will be filed with the court.
Baldwin’s motion also asserts that the grand jury received inaccurate and one-sided testimony about the revolver involved in the fatal shooting.
“Rust” armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed was convicted by a jury last week in the shooting and is being held without bond pending an April sentencing hearing. Involuntary manslaughter carries a felony sentence of up to 18 months in prison and a $5,000 fine.
Baldwin was pointing a gun at cinematographer Halyna Hutchins when the revolver went off, killing Hutchins and injuring Souza. Baldwin has maintained that he pulled back the gun’s hammer, but not the trigger.
Prosecutors blamed Gutierrez-Reed at a two-week trial for unwittingly bringing live ammunition onto the set of “Rust” where it was expressly prohibited. They also said she failed to follow basic gun-safety protocols.
Halls last year pleaded no contest to negligent handling of a firearm and completed a sentence of six months of unsupervised probation.
Baldwin is scheduled for trial in July.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Powassan virus confirmed in Massachusetts: What you should know as tick season continues
- GaxEx Exchange Breaks into the Global Top Ten, Illuminating the Crypto World this Winter: Exclusive Celebration for Crypto Enthusiasts Begins
- 3 US Marshals task force members killed while serving warrant in North Carolina, authorities say
- RFK Jr. closer to getting on New Jersey ballot after judge rules he didn’t violate ‘sore loser’ law
- Chelsea Handler Reacts to Rumors She's Joining Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
- 1000-lb Sisters’ Tammy Slaton Shows Off Transformation in Swimsuit Photo With Pal Haley Michelle
- Shootout that killed 4 law officers began as task force tried to serve a warrant, police say
- 'Most Whopper
- US to require automatic emergency braking on new vehicles in 5 years and set performance standards
Ranking
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- GaxEx Exchange Breaks into the Global Top Ten, Illuminating the Crypto World this Winter: Exclusive Celebration for Crypto Enthusiasts Begins
- Prosecutors at Donald Trump’s hush money trial zero in on the details
- Funeral services are held for a Chicago police officer fatally shot while heading home from work
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Person of interest sought in shooting on Navajo Nation in northern Arizona
- Videos show where cicadas have already emerged in the U.S.
- Highway back open after train carrying propane derails at Arizona-New Mexico state line
Recommendation
Kansas City Chiefs CEO's Daughter Ava Hunt Hospitalized After Falling Down a Mountain
Jax Taylor and Brittany Cartwright Reveal Very Different Takes on Their Relationship Status
Patrick Mahomes gave Logan Paul his Chiefs Super Bowl rings so he could attack Jey Uso
Paramount CEO Bob Bakish to step down amid sale discussions
Illinois Gov. Pritzker calls for sheriff to resign after Sonya Massey shooting
MLB's hardest-throwing pitcher Mason Miller is menacing hitters: 'Scary to see, fun to watch'
Golden tickets: See what movie theaters are offering senior discounts
These Mean Girls Secrets Totally Are Fetch